Thursday, July 1, 2010

The First Day, July 1, 2010

Hi, This is the first posting. I wish I had known this morning that the blog would be ready. I would have taken a picture of the crab cakes I made for breakfast. They were wonderful. I'll tell you anyway. A few weeks ago I wanted to make crab cakes so I looked on line for some recipes. I read my way through 35 descriptions of crab cakes and french fries available in Washington DC.

Because I have celiac disease and can't have any gluten I knew I would have to modify any recipe I chose. I combined a few I thought would be good, changed all the wheat flour ingredients to gluten free substitutes, and had company for lunch. The crab cakes were not a failure. They were crispy, spicy, filling and kind of greasy. My guest was happy, but it was not what I was craving.

Tuesday at Costco I bought a container of "lump" crab meat for what I thought was a good price, $6.99. It's quite tasty. What I finally settled on is probably more like egg foo young with crab than a traditional crab cake. But, it's a cake and has crab, so I think it counts.

For one: 1/2 Cup crab
1 Tablespoon mayonaise
1 Egg
2/3 Cup of gluten free rice crispys

Mix it well with a fork until it's mixed and the rice crispys are evenly distributed.
Fry it in olive oil or butter or margarine until it's firm and slightly browning, not hard and dry. (Think about scrambled eggs. If you want them gently and soft, don't over cook them)
Place them on a paper towel for a moment to remove the impression of greasiness.

They were very good, filling, healthy, low fat, low calorie and completely gluten free.

If you have celiac disease, remember that it takes about five times the normal amount of protein for your body to rebuild the damaged tissue after an autominnune flare. That means if you "got gluten" even a tiny bit, your body has to work hard to fix it. These crab cakes are high protein and make me feel lots better.

I'll try to have pictures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment