Friday, July 2, 2010

Day two, July 2, 2010

As I took the laundry off the line this afternoon, I could hear an ice cream truck nearby playing the sweetest music. Something familiar and classical. I think I played it on the piano when I was young. And over that I could hear a man with a deep voice hawking tamales. It was like an urban opera, and if I were George Gershwin, I could weave it into a wonderful and famous play with music.

It was a hard and tiring day around here. So to perk myself up mid-afternoon I made a strawberry and banana smoothy. A few days ago, when I was shopping, I did stand in front of the strawberries considering which to buy: organic, probably tastier and sweeter? or regular, more for the same money? I chose organic and today I was glad.

One cup of coconut milk, the light kind from Trader Joe's, about 2/3 tray of ice cubes. 8 big strawberries, washed and hulled, and one small banana. About an ounce of maple syrup. Sugar or honey would be fine too.

Blend it well so the lumps get pureed. It's thick, cold and very refreshing. Not so much sugar that your body will get jacked up and then crash. This kind of thing is great for kids too.

A helpful note:
People with celiac disease are already having trouble digesting food. One of the reasons people are so tired after a gluten exposure is that the inflammation in the intestines interferes with the absorption of the things we need, like vitamins. If buying organic food means your body has less useless or toxic stuff to process, then that is good. I say "if" because even some foods marked "organic" have lots of chemicals we don't want. But since we're not all food scientists, or clairvoyant, we have only the posted information to go on. On the whole, foods marked "organic" are easier to digest, tastier and more nutritious, and are probably a good investment if you can afford them.

Another day is over. About half the work got done. It's time to cook another meal. For my dinner I'm having a mix of vegetables and meat that works for me.
1. Cubed eggplant (half inch pieces)
2. zucchini squash from the garden, also cubed,
3. a quarter of a large sweet onion chopped.
4. about an ounce of Port from Portugal (That's because, by Portuguese law, their bottled Port can not contain any grain alcohol, only wine, which is gluten free.)
5. 1/4 cup canned marinara sauce
6. chopped cooked meat, any kind

Saute the vegetables. When they're soft and a little brown, add the marinara sauce and the port. Add the meat and stir well. Add any spice you like.


I have some fresh basil I'm going to use. I will also sprinkle on some garlic powder and a little flaked chili because I like it spicy.

Brown rice is a nice.

This took longer to write than it will to cook.

Are you getting ready for July 4th? I always long for a picnic on July 4th, I think because of that old movie "Picnic". My idea of the perfect romance. How silly am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment