Thursday, July 8, 2010




July 7, 2010

My friend Rachel is here from Oregon and we decided to have cauliflower with cheese sauce for breakfast. It's warm, soft, creamy, comforting and filling.

You need a nice fresh cauliflower. When they're young and fresh they're creamy white without many dark spots. One small to medium head is plenty for two. We had left over brown rice. We picked jalapeno cheddar cheese for flavor and spiciness. I use coconut milk because mostly I don't use dairy. Since this is a cheese dish, it doesn't make much sense to avoid milk, but coconut milk is what I have and what I'm used to, so that's what I used.

1. one clean fresh cauliflower
2. 6 ounces of flavorful cheese
3. 14 ounces, more or less, of milk or milk substitute like coconut milk
4. 1 teaspoon of gluten free mustard
5. 3 tablespoons of potato starch
6. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste


Make it:

1. Wash the cauliflower well, and cut or break the head into florets. Steam or simmer them in water to cover the florets. It takes about 15 minutes. Wait till they're tender but not soggy. Save the water for good flavored broth.

2. Cook rice or use leftovers heated in the microwave. Brown rice is always healthier than white rice, but there are times when the white rice texture is more desirable. It's your call.

3. Make the cheese sauce:
a. cut the cheese into cubes about 1 inch, put in the blender
b. pour the 14 ounces of milky liquid into the blender
c. add the mustard, salt, pepper and spices (I used garlic powder, about 1/2 teaspoon and a couple shakes of chili flakes in everything for zest.)
d. If you have any chicken broth, use it, one cup, or use the water from cooking the cauliflower, one cup (not both).
e. Add the potato starch.
f. Blend it. There will be lumps, but don't worry, they will melt. It's cheese.


Heat the sauce carefully so it won't burn, whisking most of the time. As it thickens, you can tip the pot so it will continue toward boiling but won't burn. when it's thickened, pour it over the cauliflower arranged on top of the heated rice.

Serve it quickly so it won't get cold. Enjoy

This is my dog Lila. I love her and she keeps me company when I walk on the beach. I get gluten free food for her at Costco. The only one I've found is Costco's brand of mature cat food. The vet said it's fine to give her cat food. It's higher protein, but that's not a bad thing. I was getting gluten from her all the time. Her food was getting all around my life. Now it's much better.

Don't forget to cook for yourself. It matters. Plan ahead, buy food, take the time to cook it. Build it into your life. You and the people who count on you will be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment