Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A different take on a crab cake


Rachel was here and I wanted to show off and make some of the wonderful crab cakes I had created just a couple of weeks ago. Only I forgot the recipe, just couldn't remember, and I even forgot that it was right here on my first posting. Well, age and gluten do take a toll.

So I re-created, first with plain potato starch and that was pleasant but dissappointing. Then I tried the Kinnikinnick pancake and waffle mix, which is slightly sweet and includes levening and I added the green tops of green onions, chopped as fine as I could get them. (I was looking for the chive effect.) It was very good. There you go, lots and lots of ways to make a crab cake. The Costco lump crab remains consistently good, sweet, just right. But, sadly, not $6.99.

Still I vote for the original crab cake recipe with gluten free rice krispies. It's the best yet. (The first posting.) Rachel, the consumate photographer got some photos of this version.

They are served here with sauteed/steamed collards, a quarter of an avacado, and bananas sauteed in margarine. It was all yummy and high protein.

This is short because I got gluten in LA and I'm dead tired. Can't move or think. Forgetting the recipe is how I do it on a good day. On a gluten flare day I can hardly find my way around the house. I'll be up and functioning, attending my blog without company or distractions very soon.

I saw a man, I'm guessing close to 80 years old, dancing with a cane at La Fonda where I dance on the weekends. He was tall, muscular and happy. He swung his cane from hand to hand depending on which direction he was headed, and swung his hips in the correct salsa manner. His rhythm was excellent. His hawaiin shirt and flare just made my day, so cheerful and willing he was to work with what he had. I praised him and he explained that he had recently had a hip replacement. Yes, I admit, there are worse things than a hip replacement, but still, you have to fight your way back to function after that kind of surgury.

I mention it because I feel awful, achy and tired and as though I've been beaten and held captive by bad jailors who wouldn't let me sleep for weeks. I bet there are others with celiac disease who feel the same way sometimes. So, I'm saying, don't give up. Do the best you can. Choose your food and eating locales carefully, and if you get sick, just take care of yourself. Remember it will pass. If you cry round the clock as I do, don't take it seriously. It doesn't mean the people you love are cruel and will abandon you. It just means you got gluten. Hang in there. Fight your way back. Tell your little ones not to give up if they get sick from gluten. Muscles grow again, tissues repair. Eat lots of protein, sleep, drink lots of liquid to wash it all out of your system. Don't give up. Keep doing the salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment