Friday, August 6, 2010

It's the pictures that keep me going




When my daughter was young I did child care in my home. I had a good friend who had a dairy farm. We both agreed that when we were too tired to move we got up anyway and did our jobs. I did it for the babies and she did it for the cows. So, it's late and I'm tired, but I look at the pictures and they remind me of the delicious food you can make if you plan ahead just a little. It's all gluten free and healthy. I'm not doing it for the pictures, I'm doing it for you. I know there are people out there who are struggling, not feeling well, pretty sure they ought to try eating gluten free, but who are scared, or don't know where to begin. I guess you are my babies now. I'm pretty sure you're not my cows.

I'm thankful to report that I'm not starving anymore and I've lost a portion of the few pounds I put on during the flare. I'm not thin, but according to my inner fat-o-meter, I'm lookin' better and dancing is more fun. Why? Probably vanity.

These meals are an amazing chicken salad with caramelized pecans and apples, and sea bass with plantains and tiny slivers of nitrate free ham from Trader Joe's.

Chicken Salad for two
Yes, this requires some chopping, but it only took me about 30 minutes from start to finish and I like it so much, it's worth it.

1. half a cup of left over brown rice.
2. one crisp apple chopped without the core, no need to peel.
3. one bunch of washed green onions, everything but the roots and scraggly ends, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces.
4. poached chicken (a whole skinless breast), cut into half inch pieces.
5. caramelized pecans, about 3/4 cup
6. dressing
7. grapes, I forgot the grapes, large and juicy, cut the seed out if necessary. Cut them in quarters.


Poach the chicken
1. rinse and pat dry the two parts of a chicken breast, no bone, no skin.
2. put a teaspoon of margarine in a non stick pan
3. add an ounce of wine or water.
4. turn on the burner and add the chicken breast as they are, meaning, don't flour or cut them.
5. simmer them for a few minutes, say three, turn them over and simmer another three minutes. A cover is good. You don't want them tough and over cooked.
6. take them out, put them on a cutting board. When they're cool enough to touch, cut them gently into pieces, about 1/2 inch square. It they're too pink for comfort, cook them some more.
7. save the juice in the pan for the dressing.


Dressing - make it in a big bowl so you can add all the other ingredients
1. half a cup of mayonnaise
2. the juice from the chicken pan
3. two tablespoons of rice or cider vinegar
4. two tablespoons of a mild oil
5. mix it well. If it doesn't seem like enough you can add more oil and vinegar or a little wine.


Caramelized pecans
1. Put about 2 tablespoons of maple syrup in a non stick pan and turn the burner on medium.
2. Add the pecans, about 3/4 cup
3. Stir pretty constantly. They look like they're going to sit there forever and do nothing and then they burn. Watch them. The goal is a little darkening of color, and a good coating of all the nuts with the syrup.
4. Turn off the burner and dispatch the nuts immediately because if you leave them in the pan, they will stick to it and each other.


Put everything except the nuts together in the big bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper, taste, maybe add more. Then separate the nuts if you can with your fingers and mix them into the salad, not with your fingers. If they have frozen solid into one big nut blob, chop it with a big knife. The pieces will taste just as good, or warm them a little in the same pan, and then they will come apart. Hot caramelized pecans are very hot. Don't put one in your mouth or touch them till they cool a little.

See, chicken salad, something that isn't fried!

I'm not writing the fish and plantain recipes because they are already in other posts.
Email if you have questions.


Life is lovely. Food is delicious. Experiment and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment